Friends @ GNOME
I am Christy Eller, and I LOVE WORKING FOR THE GNOME PROJECT!
I’m a new intern with the Gnome Outreach Program for Women. I live in Paonia, Colorado, on the western slope of the Rocky Mountains in the USA. I co-owned a wireless ISP here until we sold it 2 years ago. I do freelance graphic/web design, and technology consulting. I have used exclusively Open Source software for many years, and am so happy to be able to contribute to this project.
- learned to use git
- learned the infrastructure of Gnome, the procedures for editing the website, got access to http://www.gnome.org and wp.gnome.org and www-oldgnome.org
- filed 2 bugs and made 3 patches
- suggested that there needed to be a new process for editing the wptest.gnome.org repository files, so that developers can test their edits before pushing them to the live http://www.gnome.org repositories (i.e. I created a bunch of new work for Allan, Andrea, Jeff, and maybe Sri – thank you to all)
- made (mostly grammatical) edits to the gnome.org website
- chose a plugin for the gnome.org wordpress site that enables email notifications to be sent whenever a change is made to gnome.org from the wp interface (thank you to Jeff for installing it)
Besides all that work, I had a lot of fun:
- I started learning to “love the smell of rebasing first thing in the morning”, as Allan suggested I would.
- I enjoyed an informative and fun irc meeting with other women interns and mentors. We spent a great deal of time discussing the perils of the “hackergotchi”, including the very serious issue of whether long hair can be successfully included in the graphic.
- I found that Marina and I seem to be on the same wavelength, as we made the same comment simultaneously several times during IRC chat.
- I was notified by Marina that I had overwritten Emily’s wiki art request. She almost ended up with my hackergotchi head! Fortunately, tragedy was averted at the last moment.
I look forward to another week of work, because I have found the Gnome community to be especially helpful, super friendly, extremely cooperative, very intelligent and remarkably FUN!